"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art - write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself." ~Neil Gaiman

The Challenge:
Create one new thing every day in 2011.
The Rules: 10 "freebie" days are allowed, but not encouraged.
The Proof: Weekly updates accounting for each day.
LET'S MAKE SOME ART!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Days One Hundred Forty One to One Hundred Fifty One: Houses and Horcruxes, and Many Songs

Okay, it's official: I'm 98 days behind on documenting my Good Madness. I have been keeping up with it. I have a system where each day I'll jot a brief description of my daily creation on a post-it note, usually 6 or 7 per note. I use these to help with summarizing for this blog. Normally I'll have at most 3 or 4 stuck to my desk awaiting transferral to the blog. This is what I currently have to go through:



Yeah, it's a lot. So I'm just going to dive right in.

Day 141: I was on a definite song kick in here, so I wrote another one I call "Salamander Song" for lack of a better name:



Day 142: Rebekah and Jackson were in town visiting and we went to a sculpture park in uptown Charlotte. I took a number of photos, but I'm counting this one as my Good Madness for the day:



Day 143: I wrote another poem from the point of view of the same character in the 'House Between Worlds' story as Day 132, but it's much less spoilerish (and you probably won't understand all of it out of context anyway):

I tire of the cracks in the cieling and walls.
I tire of walls most of all.
And doorways and door frames
And keyholes and locks.
I tire of floorboards and dust.

There are shadows that move in the corner of my eye
But when I turn to talk to them they disappear.
It is lonely and quiet and terrifyingly blank
This endless stretch of days
I wake and I sleep
And the watch that I keep
Is there every moment, no stopping, no break.

I tire of the carpets and stairways and halls.
I tire of walls most of all.
Of closets and cupboards,
windows and nooks
And the sounds of something moving in the walls.

I tend to hear voices come from other rooms
But when I arrive no one’s there.
It is lonely and quiet and desperately sad
This empty stretch of days
I wake and I sleep
And the watch that I keep
Is so pointless, so foolish, so bleak.

And sometimes at night I swear I see her
And sometimes I dream that it’s a lie
And sometimes I wish that this was just madness
That I was just crazy
That all of this is in my head
Because then at least she’d still be here
Then none of it was true

But I always awake to the same tired sight
No matter the room or the bed.
Of the house all around me,
A place I will never leave.
It’s a prison - boxed in from all sides.

I know that I’m foolish to write this complaint
But I tire of this house all the same:
Weary of this curse,
So sick of this call.
But I tire of walls most of all.




Day 144: At work they asked me to design the poster for our Summer Movie series at the library. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it.

Day 145: I did some recording for the wizard rock song "Under the Stairs" that I'm creating as part of a charity album to raise money for the Harry Potter Alliance. More on that later...

Day 146: I wrote a scene for a potential 13 Days of Halloween story that involves a mysterious copy room that everyone in this otherwise normal-to-the-point-of-being-utterly-boring office building tends to avoid like the plague.

Day 147: I drove up to Raleigh for the day to participate in a NC area wizards meet-up where we had a cookout, wizard rock show, and "horcrux hunt" (geocaching). I even found one of the horcruxes!



In honor of the event, I brought a giant cookie, which I decorated myself:



Day 148: Yet another song, this one of a more eerie nature:



Day 149: Inspired by a post on a blog I enjoy reading called "Forever Young Adult," I wrote this blog post talking about some of the fictional men of my dreams.

Day 150: At the library, our Summer Reading Program was just kicking off, so I designed a sign for the multicultural book display.

Day 151: Yep, you guessed it: yet another song. This one is called "Fool Mistakes." It's a bit emo. I made a video for it using a bunch of shots of a city, even though it doesn't really have anything to do with a city. Oh, logic... so overrated.



No comments:

Post a Comment