"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art - write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself." ~Neil Gaiman

The Challenge:
Create one new thing every day in 2011.
The Rules: 10 "freebie" days are allowed, but not encouraged.
The Proof: Weekly updates accounting for each day.
LET'S MAKE SOME ART!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Days Nine to Twelve: Mostly Paper

These last few days have been mostly paper-related projects.

Day Nine: My friend Melissa is very excited about the likelihood we may be roommates in an apartment sometime later this year, so she has already started furniture (window) shopping online. Inspired by this, I drew the following picture of a couch:



(And don't ask me what was up with that ugly blanket on the corner, because I really have no idea. It just sort of appeared there, and I was like, Ugh.)

Day Ten: My first day taking an online course. As a result, I'll be closing my door every Monday evening to be able to focus better on the discussions/assignments on the computer. So I made this little door hanger to remind my family what's going on:



Day Eleven: I wrote about two pages of a story about time travel. Without giving away too much plot, here's an excerpt. It's meant to be sort of an introductory quote before the events of my story actually take place:

You slither backwards out of Time like you’re shedding a skin. It takes concentration, and a certain “slipperiness”; it always helps if you’re the kind of person who often goes unnoticed or overlooked. A warning though: it gives you a killer headache. Your mind might be able to easily handle the transition into timelessness, but the body is tightly linked with Time and is most affected when it pulls free. Unfortunately, in a timeless state, normal concrete realities like Tylenol aren’t really an option. Suck it up and do what you need to do in that place beyond Time, then get the heck out of there. No living being should dwell there beyond what is necessary.

Coming back is always a little harder. Time is a force; like gravity, it tugs. And like gravity, it can have painful after-effects. The movement back into time is less a slither and more a leap. The willed effort of the mind, thoughts in increments, narrative flow, is what determines whether that leap is off of a cliff or a step-stool. The weaker-minded often don’t manage the dismount; psychiatric wards are full of them, those sound in body but possessing minds flattened or splintered to shards by the descent. Those with disciplined thoughts fare better, but there is still a danger. The whole bodily system is weakened; injury and infection are common in those first days back when the body is still readjusting itself.

It’s a dangerous practice and best done only out of dire necessity. Those who value health and long life would do best to avoid it entirely.


Day Twelve: More writing, but on a different story, and hand-written this time. I covered eight pages writing with my quill pen! I'm not giving away too many details on this one because I may end up using a revised version of it for my 13 Days of Halloween later this year...



So that's it for now. I promise to get out of my paper rut soon.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment