"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art - write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself." ~Neil Gaiman

The Challenge:
Create one new thing every day in 2011.
The Rules: 10 "freebie" days are allowed, but not encouraged.
The Proof: Weekly updates accounting for each day.
LET'S MAKE SOME ART!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Days Twenty Six to Thirty One: Cats in Hats and Keys in Locks

I can't believe January is already over! That means I'm already approximately 1/12 of the way through this project. Whoa.

Day 26: I hope this isn't cheating (I don't think it is), but sometimes I have to create things for work: bookmarks, posters, postcards, etc. to publicize events at the library. So today I made a postcard for the upcoming Dr. Seuss birthday party we're having. I consider it creation because I had to format it, pick fonts and colors, find the clipart and position it, etc.



And since it's kind of small, the Lorax thought bubble reads: "Whatsits and stories, games, crafts, and rhymes. That sounds like the hip-hip-hoorayest of times!"

Day 27: I decided to make myself a business card. Not a super-official one with my real job title. Not for "networking" and "getting ahead in the library world." One for me, with just my basic contact information. Below you'll see the front and the back.

Front



So let me guess what you're thinking. "Doorkeeper?" It may make a tiny bit more sense in the light of Day 29, but basically I'm working on this story that involves a house that exists between all worlds, and someone who has to stay there forever to guard it. A doorkeeper.

Back



I blurred out the phone number because this is the internet, after all. And besides, anyone who reads this likely already knows it.

Day 28: In about a week and a half I'm supposed to teach about forty middle schoolers how to write concrete poetry, which is pretty bad since I'm horrible at it myself. I'm supposed to come up with several examples before then, so these were some attempts (mostly failures) at it. If you're unfamiliar, concrete poems use descriptive lines to actually form the shape of the thing they're writing about. You can find a great example HERE.

These are my attempts:



My two mistakes: (1) you're not supposed to draw lines around them. The shape should be apparent without lines. (2) I should use full sentences, not descriptive phrases. So the mouse head one, while it does form the picture, isn't really a poem. Probably the closest to a real concrete poem is the mushroom one, because it would still have that shape even after I took the lines away, and I used full sentences.

Day 29: I worked on the story I mentioned earlier, the one about the doorkeeper. Here's a sample paragraph:

Later she would wonder if it could have been any key—her car key, the key to her father’s briefcase, those little metal L-shape “keys” for the ineffectual locks on the old doorknobs they had on their bedroom doors. But as it was, this one did the trick. She held it above the keyhole on the business card, feeling utterly foolish as she did so. But when she lowered it, the key slid into the hole—a real keyhole—and turned easily in the lock, and before she knew it there was a large rectangle cut out of the space of her bedroom, golden lamplight spilling in from the other side.

“Come in,” said a voice, the stranger’s voice.

And so she did.


Day 30: I found some old metallic colored pencils and drew this rose and wrote out the quote.



Day 31: It's self portrait time! I decided to chronicle how I look right now from three different angles. I didn't allow myself to change anything: no brushing my hair, changing clothes, putting on makeup. No using the computer's photo after effects to try to airbrush out that fat under my chin. This is what I look like right now. That said, after taking the original series of pictures, I did have some fun with the photo FX.

Me Times Three (in original, dream, Ravenclaw, dark, and light modes)











And after posting that many pictures of myself, I now feel like a narcissistic jerk. :-) Oh well. On that note, I shall leave you. Happy (almost) February!

No comments:

Post a Comment